Thursday, July 20, 2006

ONCE UPON A TIME IN SIMUNJAN(3)

I served in Simunjan in the district of Lower Sadong from Mac 1973 to May 1976. Throughout my three years' stay, I visited quite a number of villages within the district. Amongst the villages that I have visited were Kpg Sungai Putin, Kpg Sg. Apin, Kpg Rangawan Kpg Semera and  few others.

I recalled  in 1973, I was invited to attend a wedding ceremony of a Bugis couple in Kpg Sg Apin. The invitation was extended to me by the village Headman of Kpg Sg Api, by the name Encik Matak or better known as TK (Tua Kampung) Matak.TK Matak always came to our school to visit his son, Majek. Majek was studying in Form one that time.

It was a very interesting and unforgetable wedding ceremony because that's the first time I have the chance to attend a Bugis wedding. One thing I observed and still remembered till today is the food. We came to the wedding at aroung 10.00 a.m.We were immediately served with a drink of coffee/tea and sixteen types of cakes and biscuits. The cakes/biscuits served included those known locally as Kuih Bangkit, Kuih China, pulut (steamed glutinous rice)and many others.

By 12.00 Noon we were served with rice with at least eight type of dishes, which includes curry beef, chicken,eggs and many others.I always attended Malay wedding and I could see the great difference when come to the serving of food. Most Malay wedding occasion, dishes served seldom more than five types but the Bugis served eight types. It's something I have never seen before. For the next few weeks I keep talking to my friends in Kuching through phone , telling them how I enjoyed the tradition of Bugis marriage and wished they were there.

Back to the village headman, Encik Matak, I have a great respect towards him. As a headman, he showed his people his commitment towards his son's education.He made it a point to come down from his village in Sg Apin to the town of Simunjan. From Simunjan town he would rent a bicycle to go to the school which was 3km away.Mind you, to come down from Kpg Sungai Apin to Simunjan, you need to use express boat, a journey through enormous Sadong river which would take more than 2 hours, depending on the tide.

Encik Matak was quite particular when come to payment of school fees. Every time he came he would pay the school fee of RM4.00 per month. At the same time he would bring some food, biscuits etc for his son, Majek.

I never had a chance to see the headman after I being transferred back to Kuching. I was transferred back to Kuching in 1976. I have never seen him or his son after that.

Two years back, in 2003, my daughter, Siti, was studying in Petra Jaya Secondary School and she's would be sitting for her PMR Exam soon.I was called to the school to meet her form teacher and discuss with him about Siti's performance. That's something I have hoped for. I would like to hear from her own teacher how she performed. I met her teacher and discuss with him about Siti's performance and attitude, etc.

Then came the surprise. He introduced himself to me. I was really surprised. This form teacher of Siti is no other than Encik Majek, the son of the headman in kpg Sg Apin.

Encik Majek greeted me with utmost respect and shook my hand.We talked for a while.During our conversation, Majek informed me that his father, Encik Matak, a village headmen from Kpg Sg Apin has passed away for quite some time.I felt sad
to hear the news. I rgretted very much for not able to see the late TK Matak.To me,
he may have gone forever but his commitment and determination to see his son's success will be remembered for a long, long time, at least by me and Majek.

May his soul rest in peace.
Al-Fatihah..

Photo taken at the verandah of Sg Apin Primary school:Left, TK Matak,3rd from left, Encik Lim, a teacher, behind Encik Lim is Jerry Chia, a teacher and a good friend of mine,next to Encik Lim is Encik Chong, followd by Cikgu Sharbini Hj Dawi. I was standing 3rd from right.

No comments: