Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A TRIP TO SIBU


Last friday I went to Sibu with my wife, daughter, Nurul, daughter-in-law, Habsah and my two grand daughters, Aqilah and Fatinah. We went to Sibu at the invitation of Habsah's brother, Abdul Rahman, who is organising a "doa selamat" for his newly born baby, Nabilla. We left Kuching at around 11.00 am using my Mitsubishi L 200 and reached Sibu about 7.30 pm after making stopover at various station and bazaars.

My first stopover was at Serian, a town 60km from Kuching. In Serian, I joined fellow brother in Islam to perform friday prayer at the Serian District Mosque. Prayer ended at around 1.15 pm. We hit the road at 1.30 pm heading for Sri Aman.

Half way we make a stop at Sg.Tenggang bazaar to allow the kids to ease themselves after having drinks and lunch in the vehicle. At the bazaar I went to look for the nylon rope to tighten the canvas roof that was put on my vehicle.

From Sg. Tenggang we continued our drive toward Sri Aman. We reached the road junction to Sri Aman at around 3.30 pm but did not make a stop in order not to waste the time. I drove on until we reached Betong junction. At the junction we stop for assar prayer. As for the ladies, they proceeded to the canteen to get some refreshment and tit-bits.

From Betong junction we continued our journey until we reached Sibu at 7.30 pm. We stayed overnight at the home of Habsah's family at Jalan Teku. It is a new village. Landless people were given a piece of land by the state government to build their houses. The soil are pit type and very fertile.

The next morning we went to Abdul Rahman's home. I brought along my Olympus DSLR to get a few snap of the celebraton and also to capture the portrait of Nabilla.She's such a cute little baby. We stayed until 12.00 Noon and then left for Habsah's home to have afternoon nap as we felt very tired.

I woke up at 2.30 pm, washed my face and then moved on with my next destination, Sibu town. I went to the town with my wife with no stopover anywhere. We just drove along the town enjoying the views of the buildings and people of Sibu. Sibu is a fast developing town. In fact, the tallest building in Sarawak, Wisma Sanyan is situated in Sibu.

Tired driving around we headed home. My grand daughters have been waiting for me. They wanted to go to Taman Jublee Bukit Aup, a favorite spot for joggers. The place is quite near to our house. After ten minutes drive we reached Taman Jubli Bukit Aup. Aqilah and Fatinah enjoyed themselves watching fish and tortoise at the lake and so is mak su Nurul. I managed to snap a few shots. Mak Su Nurul and Izzat followed me to the hill top. It was a challenging climb for a fifty-four year old but for mak su and Izzat it was nothing. At the top we could see aerial view of Sibu town. The panorama was splendid. I am sure it would be very beautiful if I could wait for sunset...ah, may be next time.

We reached home at around 6.00 pm. We washed ourselves before enjoying our dinner. After dinner, I went to sleep early because I felt very exhausted. I woke up this morning at around 5.00pm and enjoy the quiteness of dawn.

For the breakfast , I had a plate of nasi goreng (fried rice). By 8.05 we make our move and left Sibu. Our first stop was Saratok, a town after Sarikei. Saratok is favourite stopover where I could find salted fish and local delicacies.

At Saratok, I went around the wet market and I was in luck. Ibought prawn of good quality at a very good price. I bought 2 kgs of prawns which only cost RM48.00. In Kuching, that particular type of prawns cost RM30.00 per kg, at least.We left Saratok at around 11.00 am and reached Sri Aman Junction by 12.30 pm.

I had my zohor prayer at the junction. There is a small surau built for the muslim and I must congratulate the local authories in Sarawak who were very understanding on the needs of the communities. Along the way from Kuching to Miri, pan -Sarawak highway, you could find a lot of surau built. Ten year ago, there is no such facility.

We left Sri Aman junction around 1.00pm . Our next stopping station was at 10th Mile, Kuching to refill our gas.It was raining heavily along the way from Siburan to 10th mile and I had to drive slowly.We reached home at 4.00 pm.Tired and exhausted but that won't stop me from doing something I have been thinking on the way back.Can you guess what? Rest? No..Prawns, yes I need to enjoy the prawns first. I have the prawns boiled, add in the proper ingredients and yesss...I am in heaven with my prawns..ahh like to join me?

26 November 2007

No comments: