Tuesday, September 03, 2013

ONCE UPON A TIME IN SIMUNJAN (9)

The mighty Sadong river. Simunjan lies at the bank of this river.
Crossing Sadong river using  ferry that would take 12 minutes to reach the opposit bank
Last month I went to Simunjan with my wife, daughter-in-law and grandson, Mukhtar. I went there to send back my DIL and grandson to their house at a palm oil plantation where my third son worked. It was an interesting journey. It has been quite some time that I have not visited this peaceful town of Simunjan, or can I say  its just a bazaar.  A place left out by time, slow in its development, rich in its natural resources before, especially timber. But today most timbers are gone. Land are being planted with palm oil by big companies.

Simunjan has always been in my heart. It is a place where I spent most of my bachelor life back in 1973 to 1975. In November 1975 I got married and brought my wife along to Simunjan. I was one of the staff of the only secondary school there ie Simunjan Government secondary school. I stayed there until May 1976.

After 37 years the bazaar still remain as it is. Development were slow. The problem of water supply that I faced back in 1973 -1976 still existed. It really need some strong hearted leader to lead Simunjan back to its aged-old glory. And the search is still on...

I will not be fair to you when I said there are developments going on, but it is not enough to change the face of Simunjan. Will Simunjan existed in future or become the ghost town that will disappear from the map of Sarawak. Mighty Sadong river are ever ready to change the landscape of Simunjan. I have seen the changes from 1973 till today. It will very much depended on the people of Simunjan. I pray to Allah that Simunjan will prosper . Simunjan is one place that remain as a memory of my life.My hope: Simunjan remain in existence for there are memories that is hard to foget and it all started in simunjan.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Salam brother.

I was a temporary teacher serving at SMK Simunjan in the late 70's when Allahyarham Cikgu Jeraiee was the headmaster of the school and Cikgu Ahmad Sabu was the senior assistant. Though it was only for a year but it was filled with an everlasting memories that I will continue to cherish for the rest of my life. In actual fact I got to by chance came across your blog when googling stories on Simunjan in the 70's. I too studied at St.Thomas' Secondary school in the 70's. I left in 1974. I was a Mounsey (Green House) . Back on Simunjan I googled earth and I did a walk through with ground view and I get to see the development or what has changed there. To my surprise nothing much except for the paved roads leading to Gunung Ngeli. I am very disappointed that there is little development in Simunjan.

I used to walk all the way from where I lived then at the teacher's quarters at SMK Simunjan and to town where I taught at SRK Abang Man. To this day I still couldn't comprehend the fact that I walked miles and at times in heavy rain and almost a "pantei" like road for a young man from Kuching who just reached 18 years old then.

I would like if you can share with me some of the photos of the days in Simunjan in the 70's .

Thank you for the wonderful write up and mun kitak ada masa we can chat a bit more. I live in KL now for the past 20 years and 4 years in London in the early 2000. I am sure we do have common friends that we keep in touch.

Let me know how best to continue communicating.

Kind regards.


Ali

Penabahari said...

Waalaikum salam bro,
Thank you for the visit bro. I'm sure we have a lot to share about our memories of Simunjan. You can find me at my face book under the name : Pharo Abdul Hakim
https://www.facebook.com/penabahari
Just add me as your friend. Not really much fotos to share but I can bring you to other friends from Simunjan who do kkeep beautiful faces of Simunjan.
Thank you