Monday, September 09, 2013

A TIME TO CYCLE (3) : BICYCLES IN MY LIFE

I fell ini love with bicycle and cycling since 2010 after my son bought a second hand bicycle from spare part shop in Kuching as a present to his youngest sister, Nurul Hakimah. I called that bicycle, Ros Kalas (it means pink rose).Not long after that I went to the same shop and get myself a Japanese postman bicycle for RM780.00. I named the bike, Pak Lurah. But bicyle actually has been in my life for a long, long time. As far as I can recalled, I had my first taste of bicycle in 1959. I was 6 years old then. My father put me in a basket at the back of the bicycle. There is a rack at the back of the bicycle where my father placed the basket. It was used to put the bread for sale.

In 1961 my family moved to a village across Sarawak river called Kampung Pulo Hilir. I went there with my eldest brother who carried me with his bicycle. Going down the hill from Kampung Panglima seman Ulu to Kpg Panglima Seman Lama, we fell off the bicycle andI've got scratches here and there on my hand.

I sat for Sarawak Junior Certificate examination in 1969 and passed. A Chinese towkey, the owner of Ting & Ting Supermarket at that time was a friend of my late father. He was so happy with my result that he gave me a bicycle that belong to his son. The bicyle need to be refurbished and after the repair walla..I have a bike of my own for the first time.

In 1972 I was offered a government job at Education Department Headquarters, kuching. The office situated at the Textile Museum today. My father bought me a racing bicycle for my transport to the office. Yes, I have to pay him after that...after receiving my first pay.. hehe

In 1973 I was transferred to Simunjan  and the bike followed me. Pity the bike it had problem with the road/path in Simunjan that I have to send it back to Kuching to be repaired. I just thought may I a the first to ride a racing bike in the town of Simunjan. (a fact that can be argued). The bike did not last long in Kuching. It was stolen after a few months there.

In 1976 I was transferred back to Kuching. To enable me to go to work, I bought another racing bicycle. I used it for a few months and it received the same fate as my earlier racing bike. It was stolen. So I have to use a bus to work before turning to motorcycle and then motor car.

Between 1976 to 2010, I have no bicycle in my life. A bicycle came back to me after I retired from my government service. I bought the red bicycle that I called Pak Lurah in 2010. After that I kept purchasing a bicycle as part of my collection. Now I have 7 bicycles with their unique names; Pak Lurah, Mak Honey, Ros Kalas, Bujang Cheby, Minah Jepun, Mat Kona and Bujang Pantai.

Cycling is actually good. It is good for your waistline, lifespan, coordination and mental health. Why not start cycling now. You cycle to the office, to Gym or to anywhere you want to go. It is economical too. It is one way to beat the oil price hike. Now lets cycle and say adios to oil.
Me and Mak Honey
Bujang Cheby (Chevrolet)

Me, Nurul and my bike called pak Lurah


With Bujang Pantai, a beach cruiser bike.











2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bujang cheby look nice

Penabahari said...

yes, really nice to ride Bujang Cheby , Fareez. Nanti sampai kat Kuching, Fareez bolehlah cuba hehe