Friday, February 02, 2007

WEE, MIRI & I





Last week I went to Mukah on inspection duty. It was my third . My first was in February last year when I visited Faizal, my third child, who worked in a Oil palm plantation in Balingian.
I went again for the second time in Mac 2006 and stayed for two nights. I felt I am in love with Mukah, such a nice town at the bank of Mukah river. A town fomaous for its sago.

While in Mukah I met my former staff, who, at one time worked with me in the same station i.e Miri. I was in Miri from 1991 to 1999. He's no other than Wee Poh Cheng. Wee is a mixed blood of Chinese father and Melanau mother. Interesting fact about Wee, he can't speak chinese.
Wee spoke in Malay, English and Melanau. This is due to the fact that he was raised amongst the Melanau community in Mukah.

Wee started his service in Miri some time in 1994 -1995. A very hard working guy with high spirit, easy going and has a pleasant smile, Wee is very approacable and helpful. With him around nothing is difficult.

I left Miri in 1999 to serve in my home town, Kuching but Miri remained a memory. I came back to Miri a few times since then and while in Miri, Wee never fail to extend his helping hands to me and has treated me the same way when we were together.

Now he is serving in Mukah, his home town and I believe he's happy to be here. With him around he made my trip interesting and enjoyable. He became a tourist guide and brought me to various villages in Mukah and gave me chances to snap a few snapshots. Mukah is a beautiful place to visit. You would be astonished by it's serenity.

So friens, lets enjoy the photos and best of luck to all. As to Mr Wee Poh Cheng, thank you for your hospitality and not forgetting the rest of the staff in Mukah, Aziah, Ida, Ummi Abbas & others. You are all great. Love you all.


1 comment:

Penabahari said...

Wa'alaikum salam Ummufatihah,
Yes, I can see that working in Mukah is really an enjoyable moments. How I long to work in such a situation.

Welcome home to u and family soon.

Last but not least. Bagi tahu Wee, cepat -cepatlah sikit. Tak sabar nak makan nasi minyak di Mukah.